· Black Gram Lentils (Mash Ki Daal) – 1 cup
· Water – 4 cups
· Salt – 1 teaspoon
· Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
· Red Chili Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
· Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
· Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 tablespoons
· Tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
· Onion – 1 (chopped)
· Green Chilies – 2 (sliced)
· Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
· Fresh Coriander Leaves – For garnish
· Cooking Daal Mash Step by Step
Wash and Soak the Lentils
Take 1 cup of black gram lentils (Mash Ki Daal) and wash them thoroughly. Soak the lentils in water for at least 30 minutes. This helps in softening them and reducing cooking time. In a large pot, add the soaked lentils and 4 cups of water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder. Cook the lentils on medium heat until they become tender and soft. This may take around 30-40 minutes.
Prepare the Tadka
In a separate pan, heat cooking oil. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until it turns golden brown. Add chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, and sliced green chilies. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the oil separates.
Combine Lentils and Tadka
Once the lentils are soft, add the prepared tadka to the lentils. Mix well and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.